Sunday, January 27, 2013

To Allah We Belong and To Him Is Our Return

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatu.

For 15 months I worked as a nurse at one of the busiest units of Zamboanga City Medical Center, the Surgical ICU. All patients I cared for are critically ill, most of them with poor prognoses. So, it ends up in two ways, they go home back to their families or return to our Almighty Creator. 15 months and maybe you'd think I am used to seeing people die (they were quite a few). But no. I don't think I will ever be. I don't think anyone will be. Yes, death is inevitable. We live, we die. That the journey of living ends in death. 

The Quran tells us:

"Every soul shall have a taste of death: In the end to Us shall you be brought back." (29:57)

Then, it is the only thing certain. Death is the barrier between this wordly life and the Hereafter, the only barrier from coming face-to-face with Allah, the Exalted, the Most High. It should be an awesome moment. To finally see Him and talk to Him and thank Him non-stop for all the wonderful blessings He has bestowed upon you and your family during your "living" days. Then it hits you. There's one of these two places you go to and stay permanently: 1. Heaven 2. Hell. If you have been a good person, you go to 1. If you were otherwise, the very hot 2 awaits you. This is the part I may be worried the most. Am I ready to face him? Truth be told, I am not. And maybe even most of us. I have cared sooo much about living in this world and it scares me how little I think I am doing to prepare for the Hereafter. I wonder, have I done enough to deserve choice number 1? Do I still have time left to work on my deen?  I hope so. 

"What is the life of this world
but amusement and play? But verily the Home of the Hereafter -- that
is Life indeed, if they but knew." (29:64)


"Every soul shall have a taste of death: and only on the Day of
Judgement shall you be paid your full recompense. Only he who is save
far from the Fire and admitted to the Garden will have attained the

object (of Life): For the life of this world is but goods and
chattels of deception" (3:185)


I frequently tell myself that for as long as Allah wills, I will do my best to do the things the way Allah wants things to be done. Everyday is a chance to be a better Muslim and to be closer to Him. Blessed are we all to wake up and be given the chance to read the Quran, do good deeds, pray the 5 obligatory prayers, give charity, dwell in the remembrance of Allah and do everything it takes to enter the gates of Paradise. In Shaa Allah.

Earlier today, my grandfather's brother passed away. I happened to be one of his nurses during his stay in the Surgical ICU after the doctor's discovered a tumor in his colon and removed it surgically. He was doing well and was even told by his physician that he has a high rate of survival because no metastases was seen. He just needs to go thru chemotherapy. But I think his family decided against it (I'm not sure about this part, though). So weeks passed, he was feeling okay but eventually, grew weaker and weaker. And today, he returns to face Allah Almighty.

انا لله وانا اليه راجعون

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'oon.
(To Allah we belong, and to him is our return
Holy Qur’an – Al- Baqarah 2:156)

May Allah rest his soul in peace, expand and lighten his grave. May he be forgiven for all his sins and granted the highest level of Jannah. May Allah guide those he has left behind, grant them patience to bear this hardship and turn to Allah during this difficult time. Ameen.

P.S. Photos are not mine, credits to the owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment